Transfer Students

Interested in living in a vibrant community where your fellow classmates are right down the hall? Want the convenience of living close to your classes, dining facilities and study spaces? If you answered yes, then Campus Housing is here to help you find the perfect on-campus home! Check out all the options available to you by visiting our Residence Halls page. If you would like information about housing accommodations, please visit the Center for Disability Services. To view policies and procedures for students living in on-campus housing, visit Residence Life's Policies and Procedures. For additional questions, review our helpful FAQ page, and feel free to email Campus Housing or call us at 843.953.2015.

IMPORTANT NOTE about limited housing for 2022-2023 academic year

Beginning this fall, one of our larger residence halls, McAlister Hall, will be renovated, which we’re very excited about. With its closure for the 2022-2023 academic year, compounded by large incoming and rising sophomore classes, we will not have enough spaces for all students who wish to live on campus.

Based on a three-year average of students living on campus and our anticipated 2022-2023 enrollment, we expect that we will not have enough housing for all interested students unless a higher than average number of students decide to live off campus. There will likely not be space for transfer students in our residence halls and houses except for a limited number of students with extenuating circumstances. If you would like us to consider you for one of the limited spaces, please continue reading.

The process for 2022-2023 is different than most years.


Beginning February 1, 2022, at 9 a.m. transfer students who are interested in on-campus housing for the 2022-2023 academic year can submit a Request for Housing form. To access the form, log into the MyHousing/Dining portal and click the Apply for Housing button. 

  • The form will include a section regarding extenuating circumstances, should you have any. 
  • We cannot guarantee housing for these circumstances.
  • Transfer students who submit the Request for Housing form will be added to the housing waitlist.

To aid in your search for off-campus housing, we’ve provided an overview of some of the larger housing providers located within approximately two miles of campus on our Waitlist Information page. These are not affiliated with the College of Charleston in any way, and we cannot and do not endorse or recommend any specific provider. We are simply providing this limited information as a mere courtesy.

Students may wish to live off the peninsula for a variety of reasons. If you do not have a car or would like to avoid driving downtown and parking, please consider CARTA bus services as an option. The College of Charleston partners with CARTA to provide free service to all CofC students on all CARTA buses. Simply show your valid Cougar Card to board any CARTA bus free of charge.

The following information is from the Office of Financial Assistance and Veterans Affairs:

  • Students who live off campus may be able to use any excess financial aid to pay for off-campus living expenses. Once we disburse financial aid to a student account, all institutional charges are covered first (which is usually tuition and fees, and any campus meal plans). After institutional charges have been satisfied, if the student has an excess balance, the Treasurer’s Office will process student/parent refunds. These excess refunds may be used to help with the student’s off-campus living expenses. Financial Aid refunds are processed just prior to the start of classes.

  • If you have not yet set up a direct deposit, which is the fastest way to receive your refund, please click on the following link: How do I set-up a refund direct deposit account?  

  • If you have already set up a direct deposit. you do not have to do anything further.

Every student’s financial aid situation is different, of course. If you have further questions about your financial aid, please contact the Office of Financial Assistance and Veterans Affairs at or 843.953.5540. 

You may review the 2022-2023 Housing Contract (PDF), which you would sign if you became eligible to apply for housing. The housing contract is binding for the entire academic year (both fall and spring semesters).