Frequently Asked Questions

New Students

Bridge Students

Room Assignments

Current Students


New Students

I am a new student. What are my chances of receiving housing?

All incoming students who pay the non-refundable $400 tuition deposit and the non-refundable $50 housing application fee AND complete the housing application by May 1st are guaranteed on-campus housing. After May 1st, students are offered housing as space becomes available. Housing is offered to students in the order of the housing application completion date.

How do new students request housing?

Students apply for housing via the MyHousing/MyDining Portal on MyCharleston after paying the tuition deposit and housing application fee. More details can be found on the Apply for Housing page.

Should I wait until I receive information from other schools before I pay my tuition deposit, pay the housing prepayment, and apply for housing?

No. Waiting lessens the chance of receiving your top preference. The sooner you complete your housing application, the higher in order you are to receive your top choice in buildings.

Is there a certain residence hall for new students?

No. New students can live in any of our residence halls except 1 & 20 Warren Place, Kelly House, Historic Houses, and George Street Apartments, which are for upperclassmen students only.

Are there washer/dryer facilities?

Yes, free washing machines and dryers are located in all residence halls and designated houses. Laundry View allows residents to monitor the status of washers and dryers in connected laundry rooms through a web browser. Residents living in a house without washer/dryer facilities may go to one of the nearby residence halls to use the washer/dryer facilities.

How do I check-in/check-out my key for my room? 

During move-in weekend, you will be able to pick up your room keys from your assigned residence hall. Your Cougar Card will be scanned to check you into the building.

At the end of the academic year or if you move out, you may return your room keys to the Campus Housing office at 40 Coming Street to avoid additional housing fees.  

How am I able to swipe into my residence hall for access?

Students are given access to their residence hall via their Cougar Card. All freshman residence halls have a front desk with a swipe verification system. Students will have automatic access to their residence when rooms are assigned, and they will be required to swipe their card when entering the hall to verify their access. Lost or broken cards can be replaced at Cougar Card Services or by Public Safety after hours for a fee.

Bridge Students

For more information on the Charleston Bridge Program, visit the Bridge Program Frequently Asked Questions page.

I’m a Bridge Student; do I have to live on campus?

Yes, the Charleston Bridge Program is a residential program that that requires students to live on-campus and purchase a Freshman Resident Meal Plan.

I’m a Bridge Student; do I have to have a meal plan?

Students must also purchase a Freshman Resident Meal Plan to use at the on-campus dining locations.

How are Charleston Bridge room assignments made?

Charleston Bridge students will only be assigned roommates that are also participating in the Charleston Bridge program. Charleston Bridge students will be assigned to Berry, Buist, Craig or Liberty residence halls. A request for a roommate not participating in Charleston Bridge will not be approved during the fall semester. If you would like to connect with other Charleston Bridge students, please visit the Charleston Bridge Facebook group.

I’m a Bridge Student; can I be roommates with whoever I want?

Bridge students can only live with other Bridge students in the allotted residence halls. Campus Housing will make room assignments that will be released in July. Room changes will only be allowed into other Bridge-specific rooms with Bridge student roommates. If you would like to connect with other Charleston Bridge students, please visit the Charleston Bridge Facebook group.

What else do I need to do?

Bridge students will receive a Bridge Housing Addendum via their College email address; they must sign and return this addendum before they can be assigned housing. Please also remember that all Bridge students must pay their total bill to Trident Technical College by August 1 or they will not be allowed to move into the residence halls. 

Room Assignments

How are room assignments made?

Housing assignments are made in application completion order. The earlier you complete your housing application, the better chance you have at receiving your top preferences. Residence hall requests are not guaranteed but will be considered based on the date you complete your housing application.

Roommate requests are not guaranteed but will be considered when assigning housing.

Is there a deadline for me to complete my application?

YES! To be guaranteed a space on campus (not your preferred building), the student must pay the tuition deposit, housing application fee AND complete the housing application by May 1. After May 1, students are assigned on space-available basis in order of completed applications received.

Can I request to share a room with someone that I know?

Yes. We will do our best to honor your roommate requests; however, we cannot guarantee them. Students wishing to be roommates must request each other in the applications. We do not hold applications to wait for a specific roommate request.

When will I receive my housing assignment?

Applicants will begin receiving their room assignments in July and on an on-going basis thereafter. Room assignments and roommate/suitemate information can be viewed via the MyHousing/MyDining portal in MyCharleston within the housing application.  

What does it mean to be assigned to a suite?

It means that you have been assigned to a living unit that has a common room with two, three, or four bedrooms and a shared bathroom(s).

What if I receive an assignment, but change my mind about attending the College of Charleston?

Immediately cancel your housing application. Please use the following steps to cancel the application:

  • Log into your MyCharleston account.
  • Click on the MyHousing/Dining icon (top right).
  • Choose APPLICATION at the top of the page.
  • Select the current term Housing Application, and click Continue.
  • Click on the Cancellation Page link in the top right corner.
  • Choose your reason for cancellation from the drop-down menu.
  • Click on the Cancel Application button at the bottom of the page.

The Office of Campus Housing will be notified automatically after your application is cancelled. Note: Notifying the Admissions Office does not constitute notice to Campus Housing. Policies concerning a refund of prepayment/fees can be found in your contract. Once you are enrolled at the College of Charleston, unless released from the terms of the contract, you are responsible for the full housing fee even if you do not occupy the space.

Current Students

I am a returning student, how do I sign up for housing?

Returning students will be able to select their own room within the housing portal during an assigned time for the following academic year. Returning students will not be assigned to rooms by the Campus Housing Office. Check the Apply for Housing page for more details.

What if I want to change rooms?

Submit a room change request via the MyHousing/MyDining portal. Upon receipt, Campus Housing will contact each student with options.

What do I do if I want to cancel my contract?

The housing contract is a binding agreement for both the fall and spring semesters. If you decide to live off-campus or to not attend the College PRIOR to moving in, you must cancel your housing application via MyCharleston using the MyHousing/Dining tab. If you decide to live off-campus AFTER moving in, please contact Campus Housing at or call 843.953.5523. Cancellation penalties will apply. Please see the detailed contract cancellation information listed in your housing contract.

What if a maintenance problem occurs?

For non-emergency services, submit a work order form through the Work Order Online System via the MyHousing Portal in MyCharleston. A step-by-step guide can be found here. The maintenance team assigned to the building will then handle the request on a priority basis. If you experience a maintenance emergency immediately call 843.953.5550.

What furniture is provided for me as a student living on-campus?

At the College of Charleston, two or three students normally share a room. Twin extra-long, loftable beds are provided in most cases. Closets or wardrobes, chest of drawers, desks, desk chairs, and other furnishings are provided and shared. In 1 & 20 Warren Place and George Street Apartments, full size beds are provided. For more specific information about what furniture your residence hall provides, check the corresponding residence hall webpage.

Do I have access to cable TV in my residence hall?

Yes! The College of Charleston offers IPTV (internet protocol television) access to on-campus residents through Apogee's Stream2 service! Stream2 makes all of your favorite TV channels accessible online via your laptop, tablet, smartphone, and streaming device. Each student account has 20 hours of DVR available and the ability to pause live TV, fast forward, rewind, and start over any TV show that has occurred in the past 24 hours. To find out more, visit our Stream2 info page.

How do I get a meal plan?

Meal plans can be selected within the housing application. You can also select a meal plan using the MyHousing/Dining tab via the Commuter link. Feel free to contact Campus Dining Services at 843.953.5539 for more information about meal plans. Meal plans are required for all freshmen living on campus.

What do I do if I lose my key?

Log into the MyHousing/Dining portal and fill out the Lost Key Request Form. You will get an email from Campus Services HQ that your room has been rekeyed. Then, during business hours, stop by Campus Services HQ at 162 Calhoun Street to get your new key. If a temporary key is needed while locks are being changed or outside of HQ business hours, you can check-out a temporary key from Public Safety. Replacement keys are $100 each; replacement fobs are $15 each.

I am a graduating senior, but the halls close before graduation… what do I do?

Graduating seniors will receive a notification from the Campus Housing office if they are able to remain in their assigned housing until the day after graduation. Otherwise, they will be relocated to a different area of campus. Seniors who choose not to use this option may check out of the residence hall on the assigned move out date for the semester.


What are the alternatives to living on-campus?

Many apartment possibilities exist in the Charleston area. Price, quality, and location vary greatly depending on individual needs.

Will I have to move off-campus after my freshman year?

No, we welcome returning students to stay with us! Returning student room selection takes place in the spring and more information on the process can be found on the Apply for Housing page.

Is there any housing for married or graduate students?

Presently we do not provide housing for married or graduate students.

If I have a disability that requires special housing, what should I do?

Submit your housing application, then contact the Center for Disability Services. We will work with you to find a situation that will best accommodate your needs.

What about mail? Parking on campus?

For answers to these questions, please contact:

For information about other services, please see our Auxiliary Services page.